Gino Strada is an Italian surgeon who has devoted himself to providing medical and surgical care in war-torn countries around the world over the past 28 years. He has helped save lives by providing free-of-charge medical treatment to 8 million people with great love for humanity transcending national borders, and has taken the lead in an anti-war campaign to protect and dignify human rights, thus contributing to the building of global peace.
- 1978 : Postgraduate school, specialist in Emergency Surgery, University of Milan
- 2004 : Honorary degree, Engineering, Basilicata University
- 2006 : Doctors of Humane Letters, Colorado College of Colorado Springs
- 1978 ~ 1984 : Surgeon, Institute of Emergency Surgery, University of Milan (Italy)
- 1981 : Visiting Surgeon, Groote Schuur Hospital, Capetown, South Africa.
Visiting Surgeon, Harefield Hospital, Harefield, U.K.
- 1981 ~ 1982 : Visiting Surgeon, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- 1983 ~ 1984 : Visiting Surgeon, Stanford University, CA, USA
- 1985 ~ 1986 : Surgeon, Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hospital of Bergamo (Italy)
- 1987 ~ 1988 : Surgeon, Emergency Department, Rho Hospital, Italy
- 1989 : Surgeon, International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Hospital, Quetta, Pakistan
- 1990 : Surgeon, ICRC Dessie’ Hospital, Dessie’, Ethiopia
Surgeon, ICRC Hospital, Khao-I-Dang, Thailand
- 1991 : Surgeon, ICRC Hospital, Kabul, Afghanistan
Chief Surgeon, Hospital of Ayacucho, Ayacucho, Peru
- 1992 : Surgeon, ICRC Hospital, Kabul, Afghanistan
- 1993 : Chief Surgeon, Balbala Hospital, Djibouti
Chief Surgeon, Berbera Hospital, Somalia
- 1994 : Surgeon, Koshevo Hospital, Bosnia-Herzegovina
- 1994 ~ 2007 : Chief Surgeon, EMERGENCY Hospitals : Kigali, Rwanda / Suleimania and Erbil, North Iraq / Battambang, Cambodia / Anabah and Kabul, Afghanistan / Asmara, Eritrea
- 2007 ~ 2014 : Cardiac Surgery, Salam Centre for Cardiac Surgery (Khartoum, Sudan)
- 1994 ~ 2016 : Founder and Executive Director of Emergency NGO
- 2003 : Antonio Feltrinelli Prize (Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei Foundation)
- 2015 : Right Livelihood Award (Right Livelihood Award Foundation)
- 2016 : ESTE Plaquette (European Society for Trauma and Emergency Surgery)
- 1999 : Published biography “Green Parrots : A War Surgeon's Diary” and was awarded the Viareggio Versilia Prize
- 2002 : Published the book "Buskashi, A Journey Inside War" Featured in PBS documentary "Afghanistan 1380"
- 2013 : A short documentary film called "Open Heart" was made about Dr. Strada's work with the Salam Centre for Cardiac Surgery in Sudan, and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Short Documentary.